Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The simplest Curd Rice -(Thair saadam)


Until I went to coimbatore for my post-graduation, I never liked curd. I loved moru (buttermilk) or sambhaaram(spicy version of buttermilk), but I hated curd.

But once one joins a hostel, sometimes a person leans to exist on whatever is available, and we girls were really resourceful....we would get boiled eggs, slices of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions, salt and pepper powder from the mess and make sandwiches, and pickles were often used as fillings....

Curd was provided during the meals in plent, and though they used to serve curd rice too, I never liked the sticky, thick type they made...instead, my roomy and I used to make our own curd rice and have it with onion pickle, mango thokku or a variety of others we always kept ready in our rooms.

This one is in memory of all those special meals..

I have had many types of curd rices with garnishes of grapes, pomogranates and a ot of other things and I have to say I never acquired a taste for those..

This is my recipe for curd rice.

Cook a cup of rice (pachari) do not cook it too much or the end result will be sticky.

Take
curd - 1 cup
ginger - /2 tsp finely grated
lemon rind - grated, a pinch
salt - to taste
water - 1/4 cup

mix all the ingredients well till smooth.

Temper with
mustard seeds 1 tsp,
green chillies - 2, finely chopped
dried red chillies 2, broken to pieces

garish with
Coriander leaves- a bunch, finely chopped

Now refrigerate for half an hour before serving. Great during summers...

No comments:

Post a Comment