Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas tree ornament - Handmade from scratch!




I was sure that I wouldn't be posting any more till we came back from Jaipur, but i couldn't resist this... 

Since my daughter was not well the last week ,(Many thanks to all of you who wished her well) she hadn't been to her playschool..and I did not know that I was required to get her a gift worth Rs. 15 to 20, which would then be exchanged...

Now, to get something that would actually be a good gift is almost impossible.. and with kids, there should always be chocolates with the gift or a gift with the chocolates.. otherwise things do become disappointing... 

So finally I decided to make a tree ornament and buy some nice chocolates to add to the gift..

The whole thing was made in 2 hours.. I had to wait for the paint and the varnish to dry on each side, to paint the next layer..

The mould is the cap of Lays Stax... similar to Pringles chips..
I used a ceramic -like powder and glue to make the disk. Poked a hole with a pen refill.
Used acrylic black to paint the base. coated with varnish, painted Holly in red and green for that Christmasy feel.. higlighted with silver and looped some silver threads through the hole..
The thread ends were treated to a coat of clear nail polish to keep it from fraying..

When I finally rushed to my daughter's playschool, I was told they had pre-poned the celebrations and had already distributed the gifts... :(

Anyway, I am happy I made something and can develop on this idea.. 

So my friends, how do u like it?

3 comments:

  1. this is fabulous~~~ i wish i could make some ornaments myself.....i am like a headless chicken around christmas...and currently am waiting for the oven timer....cake's baking and the house smells sensational~ have a lovely christmas sweety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...this is WAAAAAY Cool!!!!
    Did you have fun? It sounds like you did!

    Are you going to make more???
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. like it very much! brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete