Saturday, February 14, 2009

On Valentine's Day......


As mostly anyone who is a visitor to this blog knows by now, I am crazy about books and have a nice collection of my own.. and these books have been read at least twice .. and there are some out of these that are extra-special... 

On this Valentine's day, I choose to share a few lines I came across in a book. And because of these words and the way I felt reading them, I bought that book ...

I have no idea if it is lore the author heard from somewhere, or her own words, but to give the author her due for sharing these lines, I got them from the 'Rio Grande Wedding' - by Ruth Wind...

"The Old women always said there was a face carved upon the heart of every woman. A face half remembered on a hundred sun-glazed afternoons spent day-dreaming in classrooms that smelled of chalk, a face that haunted her on nights when the full moon shone into her sweet-smelling virgin bedroom... 
A face mostly forgotten , till a glimpse of it is seen in a crowd of strangers, crowds like those at a festival, a rodeo, among crowds so large that face quickly lost... haunting the woman for ever...

The old women clucked, yes, but sighed too, their eyes raised to the misty distance, for who among them did not hope, secretly, to find that face, no matter where it lived on the earth, what upheaval it caused? It was better, they all thought privately, if one never knew she was waiting. If she was never tempted...

..............But It did not stop her from looking................."



I have edited a few lines that talk of the mishaps that occur when that face appears on the wrong person..

Hope on this day, my friends - one and all, find that face, and are lucky enough hold it near and dear...

Like I did -about ten years back and still do.. and hope to continue doing so till my last breath....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Swapna, you have a great space out here.. and happy valentine's day I have tagged ur blog for triple award plz collect it from my blog.. cheers have a gr8 sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Swapna, Yes I have nominated you for the triple award and the best mom awards hope you grabbed both have a gr8 sunday :) It is a surprise that you live in Gurgaon now..If you want to contact me you can mail me at sudhersana[at]yahoo[dot]com.My native is Nagercoil but settled here in Noida for almost 17 years after my marriage :) nice meeting you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your Valentine was filled with LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete