Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Home remedies




Both my grandmas, mattemma and all those wise women all over are sure to have many things at hand that were very very effective for quick relief...whenever we children had small ailments. 

I have grown up around these remarkable women and have thankfully imbibed a very small percent of their home remedies.. 

While I do have a good pediatrician for my daughter and have stocked all the medicines according to his advise, I am nevertheless glad that I have some of these remedies. Somehow, I do feel that giving so much medicine doesn't do much good to my daughter's immune system and since she goes to playschool, cough, cold and things like that are a regular feature at home.

A couple of days back I offered this tip to a friend whose son was suffering from a sore throat and she informed me that it helped a lot..So I thought I should share it with you too...

For a sore throat and congested chest - Grate a tsp of ginger. Mix with 1 tbsp honey. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Now give the liquid to whoever is affected. You don't have to be careful with the dosage and it can be given as often as you want. It tastes good too...

My mom reminded of this one some days back

Indigestion, diarrhoea - the same remedy can be used for either problem. 1 pinch of grated nutmeg in 1 tsp of honey. 

For a sore and tired body - In a bucketful of hot water, add 1 tbsp of rock salt and take a bath. rinse off with water of the same temperature. (it should not be cold). 

For cold  (grown-ups)- Add crushed pepper corns, coriander seeds, Jaggery /palm sugar, crushed dried ginger (all about 1/2 tsp) in 1 and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, simmer for another 5 minutes. Sieve and add 1 tsp of instant coffee powder(optional). Add more sugar if needed. 

These are a few things I do on a regular basis .. let me know what you think..

2 comments:

  1. These are great remedies Swapna!!! i will take note of them and use it for sure as we too think that too much medicines dont do good. We do use some home remedies like for cold we boil milk with turmeric and crushed pepper... recently, my son had cold.. just drinking this for morning and night for 2-3 days.. his cold is gone. Hugs Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for sharing this c: I hate medicines too unless they are natural meds like these things you had shared thanx again c:

    ReplyDelete