Monday, March 16, 2009

Not Shawarma, but...

I had a craving for 'Shawarma'... the succulent meaty sandwiches that are a favourite of most people who have been to the Middle East..

Since I did not have anything on hand that I could suddenly put together into a semblance of the same, I nevertheless had to bite into something that could satisfy the craving atleast to a decent degree.

And this is what resulted from the experiment...

I already had on hand, the following

Ready-made chicken meat-balls - 200 gms
Lebanese bread - Kaboose (they are big enough for 1 to make a good portion for me)
Frozen french fries( ready to fry)

Then I went for the veggies
Spring onions - 3 
Red and yellow peppers - 1/2 each of big sized peppers
Mushrooms - 50 gms cleaned and quartered.

Next, the sauce

Tahini paste - (I had some that I had made early)- 2 tsps
Curd - 1 tsp
Mustard sauce - 1 tsp
A pinch of salt and paprika powder.

Mix the sauce and keep aside
Now the preparation and assembly of the filling........

1.-Deep fry the potato fries
2-Shallow fry the meat balls
3- Saute the mushrooms
4-Slice the rest of the veggies
5 -Season with salt and pepper

Now take the Kaboos and butter and toast both sides(optional). Add the fillings in the middle of the Kaboose . Liberally pour the sauce on top of the fillings, roll up the kaboose and take a bite..

It wasn't Shawarma, but I was happy :). Sorry I did not have the patience to take the picture of the end result.

2 comments:

  1. I'm starving now...yummy.
    I have awards for your yummy blog. Please feel free to grab them at my blog.

    ReplyDelete